The oil and gas industry is a critical component of the global economy, and its security is of paramount importance. As digital transformation accelerates in the sector, so do the accompanying cybersecurity challenges. In addition, the rise of the metaverse – a virtual world where people interact in a shared environment – introduces new cybersecurity risks that must be considered. This blog post discusses the current cybersecurity challenges in the oil and gas industry and explores the cybersecurity risks emerging in the metaverse.
Current Cybersecurity Challenges in the Oil and Gas Industry
- Ageing Infrastructure: Many oil and gas companies rely on outdated legacy systems, which are often more vulnerable to cyberattacks. Upgrading these systems is expensive and time-consuming, but reducing the risk of cyber threats is essential.
- Industrial Control Systems (ICS) Security: ICS are critical to the operation of oil and gas facilities but were not designed with cybersecurity in mind. As a result, these systems are often vulnerable to attacks that can lead to operational disruption or even physical damage.
- Insider Threats: Employees and contractors accessing sensitive systems and data can pose significant risks to organizations. Accidental or intentional actions by insiders can lead to data breaches or disruption of operations.
- Supply Chain Attacks: Oil and gas companies rely on a vast network of suppliers and contractors, which allows cybercriminals to infiltrate their systems. Ensuring the security of the entire supply chain is a complex and ongoing challenge.
- Regulatory Compliance: The oil and gas industry is subject to numerous cybersecurity regulations and standards. Keeping up with these requirements and implementing appropriate security measures can be daunting for organizations.
We are delighted to have Roshdi Osman, Cybersecurity Specialist, Saudi Aramco, joining us to discuss cybersecurity at the Summit this coming May!
Roshdi’s presentation: Cybersecurity risk in the metaverse, will cover:
The metaverse, the virtual world where people interact in a shared environment, presents both opportunities and cybersecurity risks. As more people and businesses enter the metaverse, a growing need exists to understand and mitigate these risks. This session will cover the following key topics:
- Understanding the Metaverse, its evolution and technical architecture
- Cybersecurity Threat Landscape in the Metaverse.
- From the Dark web to the Darkverse. The underground community in the Metaverse.
- Fundamental privacy concerns in the Metaverse.
- Mitigating controls to manage cybersecurity risk in the Metaverse.
Get a FREE end-user delegate pass today!
Want to join us as a Sponsor?
Get in touch with Robi on +44 (0) 7581 405539 or email email@example.com